The half-hour live-action fantasy kids show THE MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS/FOX/1993-99 featured six-high school students who transformed (“Morphed”) into masked karate masters to battle the evil.
Their enemies included Lord Zedd (Ed Neal), Emperor of all he sees, Rita Repulsa (Machiko Soga / Barbara Goodson / Carla Perez), an evil alien witch bent on galactic domination, her henchmen bullies Bulk (Paul Schrier) and Skull (Jason Narvy) and a variety of manufactured monsters.
The Rangers fought only in self-defense and reminded viewers that “martial arts should always be practiced by a professional.” Zordon (David J. Fielding), who appeared as a giant floating head, assigned missions to the Power Rangers.
The Morphin Rangers included:
- Kimberly Ann Hart, the Pink Ranger (Amy Jo Johnson)
- Billy Cranston, the Blue Ranger (David Yost)
- Zack Taylor, the Black Ranger (Walter Emanuel Jones) – later replaced by Johnny Yong Bosch as Adam.
- Jason Lee Scott, the Red Ranger (Austin St. John) – later replaced by Steve Cardenas as Rocky.
- Trini Kwan, the Yellow Ranger (Thuy Trang) – later replaced by Karan Ashley as Aisha.
- Tommy Oliver, the Green Ranger (Jason David Frank) – who later became the White Ranger.
- Alpha 5 (Richard Steven Horvitz) a small, perky robot who helped the Power Rangers.
The series was actually a compilation of action fighting scenes first seen on the Japanese series ZYU RANGERS. The American producer Haim Saban shot new footage with American teens and then spliced together the masked Japanese actors (with American voices).
The series continued its franchise with POWER RANGERS IN SPACE in 1999, among other spin-offs and reincarnations like the 2006 series POWER RANGERS: MYSTIC FORCE.